Travel with Elemento Natural the unbeaten path of the Barra Honda National Park! This is the only park in Guanacaste that has a complex system of big caves. In this one day tour you will visit the Barra Honda Caves, but you will also enjoy the tropical dry forest and look from atop of the hill the Nicoya Gulf, its islands and the northern plains of Guanacaste.
From ¢42.000 colones per person
• Departure from San José at 5:30am.
• Box breakfast on the way, quick stop on the way at 7:30am.
• Arrival to the National Park entrance, and meeting with the local guide at 9:30am.
• End of the hike and arrival to the local restaurant for lunch at 1:30pm.
• Return to San José at.
Barra Honda National Park was created in 1974, and it has a total area of 2295 hectares. It is located in Guanacaste province, 22 kms northeast of Nicoya. The park is formed by Barra Honda Hill (some 300 meters high) and other surrounding hills. Barra Honda is in fact the most important system of caves discovered so far in the country. The Barra Honda Hill is formed mainly by limestones from ancient coral reefs, that emerged to the surface due to the movement of the tectonic plates some 60 million years ago.
• National Park entrance fees.
• Local guide and personal protection equipment.
• Breakfast, lunch and coffee.
• Comfortable shoes for hiking, light and cool clothing with neutral colors.
• Another set of clothing and towel, in case it rains.
• Snacks and water for the hike.
Photography by Andrés Montero Conde – B2Crea