This is a great trip that combines hiking on natural trails with bird watching! Join us in our trek on the highlands of ‘Cerro de la Muerte’, through oaks of the cloud forest and on the lowlands of the Savegre River Valley. This is a privileged area due to the continuous presense of one of the most beautiful birds of the world, the quetzal!
From $165 per person
• Departure at 8:00 am. from a convenient point in San José.
• Breakfast stop on the way at Chespiritos/El Empalme at 9:15, not included in the price.
• Arrival at the hotel around 11:00 am. A two hours hiking will take you to a refreshing and relaxing waterfall.
• Lunch at 1:30 pm, and the rest of the afternoon is free to enjoy the gardens of the hotel!
• Dinner at 7:30pm.
Night: San Gerardo de Dota
• Breakfast at 6:30 am.
• Hiking on the trail of the hotel and the reserve to find the quetzal, at 7:30 am.
• Lunch at 12:00 pm.
• Departure to return to San José at 2:00 pm.
Los Quetzales National Park was created in 2005, and has an area of 5,000 hectares, three types of forest and 14 different ecosystems. It is on both sides of the Savegre River, and it is formed by empty state owned properties plus the Forestal Reserve Los Santos and the Biological Reserve Cerro Vueltas, in the counties of Dota and Tarrazú (San José), and in Aguirre (Puntarenas). Los Quetzales is a park rich in flora and fauna. The bird, that gives name to the park, is the national bird of Guatemala; in this area, watching the quetzal is way easier and frequent than any other region in the country.
• Transfer from and to San José.
• Lodging with 3 meals.
• Hiking with a local guide on the Savegre Valley Cloud Forest.
• Clothing with neutral colors for the hike, a small day-pack for your water and snacks (fruit, granola bars, candy).
• Bird list or guide of Costa Rica.